Cambridge health alliance 5 middlesex ave somerville ma

Rated 4.23/5 based on 673 customer reviews

Laid out in 1636, Broadway was likely the second highway built in the area.Originally called "Menotomie's Road," it ran from the Charlestown Neck to the settlement at Menotomy (present-day Arlington).Winthrop lived, planted, and raised cattle on the farm.It is also where he launched the first ship in Massachusetts, the "Blessing of the Bay." Built for trading purposes in the early 1630s, it was soon armed for use as a patrol boat for the New England coast.New research has found that less than a decade after John Winthrop moved to the farm in 1631, there were enslaved Native American prisoners of war on the property.Each successive owner of Ten Hills Farm would depend upon slavery's profits until the 1780s, when Massachusetts abolished the practice.

The territory now comprising the city of Somerville was first settled in 1629 as part of Charlestown.In its earliest days, Washington Street was known as the "Road to Newtowne" (renamed Cambridge in 1638).During the 1700s and early 1800s, Washington Street, together with Somerville Avenue, comprised "Milk Row," a route favored by Middlesex County dairy farmers as the best way to get to the markets of Charlestown and Boston.In 1629, English surveyor Thomas Graves led a scouting party of 100 Puritans from the settlement of Salem to prepare the site for the Great Migration of Puritans from England.Graves was attracted to the narrow Mishawum Peninsula between the Charles River and the Mystic River, linked to the mainland at the present-day Sullivan Square.

Leave a Reply